Published on May 11th, 2017 | from CAMH Education
CAMH Library: Public Health Research for Canada Health Day
By Sarah Bonato, Reference/Research Librarian, CAMH Library
Canada Health Day highlights the importance of public health in the well-being of all Canadians. Read below for research with a public health focus.
From the Region of Peel
- This rapid review examines the evidence on the health impacts of different levels of alcohol consumption.
Access at https://www.peelregion.ca/health/library/pdf/Alcohol_Impacts_Health.pdf
From CAMH, Public Health Ontario and Toronto Public Health
- A survey of all 36 health units in Ontario in order to describe the range of child and youth mental health activities, initiatives, services and programming occurring in Ontario public health units.
Access at http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/about_camh/provincial_systems_support_program/Documents/Connecting%20the%20Dots%20Summary.pdf
Fractured Care: Public Health Opportunities in Ontario’s Correctional Institutions
From the John Howard Society of Ontario
- The aim of this paper is to start a discussion about the administration of health services in Ontario’s correctional institutions.
Access at http://johnhoward.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Fractured-Care-Final.pdf
Identifying Areas of Focus for Mental Health Promotion in Children and Youth for Ontario Public Health
From Public Health Ontario
- This research stud identifies the evidence-informed areas of focus for child and youth mental health promotion initiatives that are consistent with the core principles of Ontario’s public health system. Access at https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/eRepository/MentalHealth_FinalReport_LDCP_2015.pdf
From the National Collaborating Centre for Healthy Public Policy
- This strategy document points toward a renewed perspective in order to keep people from becoming mentally ill and to improve the mental health status of the whole population.
Access at http://www.ncchpp.ca/docs/2014_SanteMentale_EN.pdf
From the Canadian Institute for Health Information
- This report explores the concept of positive mental health by looking at mental health as distinct from mental illness and at positive mental health as a component of overall health and mental health. promotion
Access at https://www.cihi.ca/en/improving_health_canadians_en.pdf
From the Region of Waterloo Public Health & Emergency Services
- The purpose of this report is to define mental health, review mental health promotion concepts and theories, and highlight effective mental health promotion interventions.
Access at http://chd.region.waterloo.on.ca/en/researchResourcesPublications/resources/MentalHealthPromotion_Report.p
From the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences and Public Health Ontario
- This report examines the burden of mental illness and addictions in Ontario.
Access at https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/eRepository/Opening_Eyes_Report_En_2012.pdf
Racialization and Health Inequities in Toronto
From Toronto Public Health
- This research report examines Toronto level data to explore racialization and health inequities.
Access at http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/hl/bgrd/backgroundfile-62904.pdf