Published on June 13th, 2017 | from CAMH Education
CAMH Library: Men’s Mental Health Awareness Day 2017
By Sarah Bonato, Reference/Research Librarian, CAMH Library
It’s Men’s Mental Health Awareness Day—the goal of this special awareness day is to normalize conversations about mental health issues and reduce the stigma that often prevents men from seeking help. See below for selected resources and research.
Heads Up Guy is in partnership with the Movember Foundation and the University of British Columbia
- This web resource has info on supporting men in their fight against depression by providing tips, tools, information about professional services, and stories of success.
Access at https://headsupguys.org/
Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse and Assault: Their Experiences by Susan McDonald and Adamira Tijerin
From the Research and Statistics Division, Department of Justice Canada
- This research study represents one of the few in Canada to examine the experiences of male child sexual abuse (CSA) and adult sexual assault (ASA) survivors.
Access at http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/rr13_8/rr13_8.pdf
From the Centre for Studies on Human Stress
- This special issue is on stress and men’s mental health.
Access at http://www.humanstress.ca/documents/pdf/Mammouth%20Magazine/Mammoth_vol11_EN.pdf
- See the different projects on improving men’s health, including mental health.
Access at http://menshealthresearch.ubc.ca/
From the Canadian Family Physician 2016;62:463-4
- This commentary addresses the complex inter-section of multiple factors in order to begin helping men overcome the burden of mental illness.
Access at http://www.cfp.ca/content/62/6/463.full