Published on June 28th, 2017 | from CAMH Education
CAMH Library Celebrates Pride with Resources Promoting LGBTQ Mental Health
It’s Pride! See below for a selection of links on promoting mental health care in the Canadian LGBTQ community.
Facilitators and Barriers to Health Care for Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual (LGB) People
From the Ontario HIV Treatment Network
- This rapid review addresses the health and health care needs of LGB persons and provides an overview of recent research on the factors that could improve or facilitate LGB health care.
Access at http://www.ohtn.on.ca/Pages/Knowledge-Exchange/Rapid-Responses/Documents/RR79.pdf
Mental Health Care for People Who Identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and (or) Queer by Albina Veltman and Gary Chaimowitz
From the Canadian Psychiatric Association’s Standing Committee on Professional Standards and Practice
- This position paper addresses the need for psychiatrists to increase their understanding of the mental health needs of people who identify themselves as LGBTQ.
Access at http://www.cpa-apc.org/wp-content/uploads/LGBTQ-2014-55-web-FIN-EN.pdf
Improving Healthcare for LGBTQ Populations
From the Canadian Federation of Medical Students
- This position paper addresses such issues as the need for medical students to gain experience and training in how to provide comprehensive health care to LGBTQ populations.
Access at https://www.cfms.org/files/position-papers/2015%20Improving%20Healthcare%20for%20LGBTQ%20Populations.pdf
LGBTQ Mental Health
From Rainbow Health Ontario
- This evidence brief has information on mental health needs of LGBTQ populations and recommendations for supportive environments to promote positive mental health
Access at https://www.rainbowhealthontario.ca/wp-content/uploads/woocommerce_uploads/2011/06/RHO_FactSheet_LGBTQMENTALHEALTH_E.pdf
Suicide Prevention and Two-Spirited People
From the National Aboriginal Health Organization (NAHO)
- This guide has information on resources on the mental health needs of two-spirted peoples, along with other information.
Access at http://www.naho.ca/documents/fnc/english/2012_04_%20Guidebook_Suicide_Prevention.pdf
Search for even more resources on Portico at https://www.porticonetwork.ca/search?i_search=+LGBTQ